Tikka T3 / T3x / T1x - bedding kit
Tikka T3, T3x and T1x
Titanium Recoil Lug and Stainless Steel bedding kit
This is quite simply the cheapest improvement you can make to your Tikka T3, T3x and T1x to improve the accuracy potential of these great rifles. Our kit is machined made from high-grade materials to exacting dimensions and to a design that delivers real results. The Tikka T3, T3x and T1x are well made rifles, sporting a super-slick
action, quality hammer-forged barrels made by SAKO and a decent
adjustable trigger. However despite the marketing they are let down by non-existent bedding in any of the wood / laminate / synthetic
factory stocks. Most of them shoot fantastically out of the box, but in
our experience they can shoot a bit better by eliminating stock compression by installing steel pillars and correcting the poorly
fitting lug which can dent and deform under heavy recoil, especially
with the larger calibers. The original Tikka T3 has an aluminum extrusion for
lug, the newer Tikka T3x, T1x and Sako A7 have a low cost steel lug. This doesn't
take a lot of money, time or special skills to fix however some
fitting is required.
Some fitting is required
For a detailed installation guide written by one of our customers, please click here. Combining our bedding kit with a decent epoxy job such as devcon steel putty or marine tex has seen accuracy improvements in all factory-original rifles we have tested. Especially so with rifles in factory synthetic stocks which flex and have generally poor tolerances from the molding process.
Our titanium recoil lug is precision machined for a tighter fit to the
slot in your action than the factory supplied unit and may need to be
tapped into this slot with a nylon or rubber tipped hammer.
- Titanium lug weighs 0.409oz (11.6g). The OEM steel lug weighs 0.69oz (19.6g)
- CNC machined from aerospace Grade 5 titanium alloy (Ti6Al4V)
- High strength to weight ratio, with excellent surface hardness
- Outstanding corrosion resistance
- CNC machined to within +/- 0.01mm flatness
- Our titanium lugs will show some signs of discoloration from the manufacturing process. This is common with titanium alloy when it gets hot (often referred to as 'burnt titanium'). We do not polish the lugs. This discoloration doesn't affect the dimensional tolerances, function or performance of the lug in any way.
- 304 grade stainless steel screws (silver colour)
- Socket head (cap) screws, custom made to suit our DBM
- Screws also fit Tikka factory plastic bottom metal
- Non tapered heads for firm and secure fit against our DBM, also functions with factory floorplate
- 4mm hex socket size which readily interchanges with 5/32" hex keys
Our pillar lengths are listed below and have been designed from
measuring a multitude of OEM stocks, modification may be required for
your particular stock to ensure a metal-on-metal fit once installed. The
OEM synthetic stocks commonly have variations in thickness
(particularly for the front action screw). The OEM laminate and OEM
walnut stocks which are milled are typically very consistent. The
bedding pillars are 10mm in diameter so the action holes in the
stock will need to be drilled larger from 8mm (using a 25/64" will work
well and result in a 'press-in' fit)
- Front pillar length: 21.7mm / 0.854"
- Rear pillar length: 33mm / 1.3"
- Pillar OD: 10mm / 0.3937"
- CNC machined from 304 grade stainless steel bar stock
- Designed to be glued into the stock or alternatively can be firmly pressed-in if action holes are drilled accurately using a 25/64" bit
- Ensures perfect spacing front and rear (important for proper magazine function)
- Allows for increased tightening of action screws (up to 65 in/lbs)
- Avoids stock compressing from over-tightening action screws